Lewis J. Korngut
Location: Trenton, New Jersey
Phone: 609-528-2596 888-979-6871
Email: E-mail Me
Lewis Korngut is Of Counsel to Kamensky, Cohen and Riechelson, heading up the firm’s Criminal and Municipal Defense, Corporate Investigations and White Collar practice. Mr. Korngut was a former Prosecutor and has accumulated nearly 30 years of trial experience. He has prosecuted and tried a wide variety of matters from capital murders to white collar criminals including government officials. His extensive trial experience is invaluable as he defends clients in criminal prosecutions, grand jury investigations, corporate investigations and civil administrative actions.
A former Chief of the Mercer County Homicide Task Force, Chief of the Statewide Corruption Bureau of the Attorney General’s Office and Supervisor at the Office of the Insurance Fraud Prosecutor’s Office, Mr. Korngut has nearly 3 decades of experience supervising significant criminal and administrative investigations and prosecutions. He was also responsible for the creation of the Mercer County Homicide Task Force and the Mercer County Child Advocacy Center.
In addition to his legal practice, Mr. Korngut is a member of the non-profit organization “Shine and Inspire,” whose mission is to enhance the quality of life for Mercer County, New Jersey residents through charitable gifts to local businesses and members of the community. Shine and Inspire is based on the idea of “pay it forward,” a powerful message that guides Mr. Korngut in his life both personally and professionally.
Areas of Practice and Expertise
- Criminal Defense
- Municipal Court Defense
- Homicide, Fraud, and Internal Investigations
- Corruption Investigations
- Corporate and Non-Corporate Investigations
- Administrative Actions
Certified Legal Specialties
- Criminal Trial Attorney, New Jersey
- New Jersey, 1986
- New Jersey, U.S. District Court, 1986
- Third Circuit Court of Appeals, 1988
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1990
Honors and Awards
- Deputy Attorney General of the Year – 2005
- Division of Criminal Justice Directors Awards – 2000, 2003
- Edward Garrity Award – 2006
Professional Achievements and Verdicts
- State v. Timmendequas: Gained guilt and penalty phase convictions in capital murder case which prompted Megan’s Law.
- State v. Loftin: Earned conviction and death sentence on the first capital murder conviction in Mercer County.
- State v. Rossi, Nemes and Fiori: gained multiple convictions in major insurance fraud, official misconduct investigation and trial involving public officials setting fires to property for profit in the Mercer County area.
- State v. Anthony Kid: gained convictions on four-defendant Murder for Hire prosecution orchestrated out of a New Jersey State Prison.
- Appointed Chief of the New Jersey Statewide Corruption Unit by then Attorney General Stuart Rabner, now Chief Justice of the New Jersey Supreme Court.
- Initial Creator and Chief of the Mercer County Homicide Task Force.
- Initial Creator and Chief of the Mercer County Child Advocacy Center.
Past Employment Positions
- Essex County Superior Court, Judicial Clerkship, Honorable Francis Cocchia, 1986-1987
- Mercer County Prosecutor’s Office, Assistant Prosecutor, Senior Staff Homicide Trial Attorney, 1987-1997
- Heim, McEnroe & Urciuoli, Insurance Defense Practice, 1997-1998
- Office of the Insurance Fraud Prosecutor, Division of Criminal Justice, Supervising Deputy Attorney General, 1998-2005
- Assistant Deputy Attorney General, Chief of the Corruption Unit, 2005-2008
- Assistant Deputy Attorney General, Counsel to the Director, Division of Criminal Justice, 2008-2009
- Mercer County Prosecutor’s Office, Assistant Prosecutor, Chief of the Homicide Task Force, 2009-2015
- The College of New Jersey, Adjunct Professor, 2014-2016
- Seton Hall Law School, J.D., 1986
- Lafayette College, B.A., 1982
- Rutgers Law School
- Attorney General’s Advocacy Institute
The New York Times
New York Daily News
The LA Times
The Washington Post
The Asbury Park Press
Times of Trenton
Trenton Homicide Watch