Timothy R. Smith, Esq.
Mr. Smith has been practicing law for over 35 years, commencing his practice at the Mercer County Legal Aid Society in 1975 representing clients in court on landlord-tenant and consumer defense matters. From that position, he moved into private practice in partnership with Messieurs Tomar and Kamensky until the early 1980’s when he started his own firm handling general legal matters with offices in Yardley, PA and Lambertville, NJ. During this time he formed and operated a Pennsylvania title company and handled the development and financing of a 288 unit townhome project.
In 1993 he left private practice to take the position of Vice President of Operations and Counsel at a small world-renown optics company which specialized in the development of high-end computerized microscope and surveillance equipment.
In 1996 he was invited join a small Princeton-based radio broadcasting company in Princeton, New Jersey as Corporate Counsel. During his 16 year tenure, the company grew in valuation from $20,000,000 to $400,000,000 acquiring over fifty radio stations and major commercial real estate properties. As head of the corporate legal department, he handled all legal matters for the company’s stations in eight states and managed numerous outside financings.
Mr. Smith joined Cohen & Riechelson in 2013 specializing in business formation and operations, financing, sales & acquisitions and general business-related issues including business litigation and real estate matters.
Area of Practice
- Business Formation & Operations
- Business Financing
- Sales & Acquisitions of Businesses & Commercial Properties
- Business Litigation
- Business Real Estate Issues
- New Jersey, 1976
- Pennsylvania, 1976
Past Employment Positions
1976 – 1978
Mercer County Legal Aid Society
- Represented clients in court on Landlord/Tenant and Consumer Defense Matters
1978 – 1983
Tomar, Kamensky & Smith
General Legal Matters including:
- Interstate Land Sales Fraud case which was tried in Federal Court, won jury verdict with compensatory punitive damages and attorney’s fee. Appealed to 3rd Circuit Court of Appeals and decision was affirmed.
- Wrongful discharge representing Falls Township won jury verdict in Court of Common Pleas Bucks County.
1983 – 1993
Started private practice in Yardley, PA — ultimately became Smith and Freeman
General legal matters with offices in Yardley, PA and Lambertville, NJ
Bankruptcy, Real Estate, Wills & Trusts, Criminal, Personal Injury, Contracts, Corporate.
- Represented real estate developer, raised funds to build 288 unit townhouse project in Upper Makefield Township.
- Formed and operated a title company.
1993 – 1996
Questar Corporation, New Hope, PA
Vice President of Operations and Counsel
- General corporate matters and development of high-end computerized microscope systems and surveillance systems expanded into the global market.
1996 – 2013
Nassau Broadcasting Partners, LP
- In-house counsel for a rapidly emerging mid-size radio company, managing legal matters during a period in which the grew from two stations in New Jersey to fifty+ stations across the Mid-Atlantic and New England states. In 2003-2004 closed approximately $500,000,000 of transactions, including senior debt, equity, and acquisitions. Expanded corporate legal department; hired and trained Associate Corporate Counsel.
Nassau Holdings, Inc.
- Handled general legal matters for subsidiary commercial real estate investment company.